Current:Home > News11 ex-police officers get 50 years in prison for massacre near U.S. border in Mexico -Blueprint Money Mastery
11 ex-police officers get 50 years in prison for massacre near U.S. border in Mexico
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 16:16:46
A court in Mexico sentenced 11 former police officers to 50 years in prison each for the 2021 slayings of 17 migrants and two Mexican citizens, authorities said Tuesday.
The ex-officers were convicted earlier this year of homicide and abuse of authority. A 12th officer was convicted only of abuse of authority and sentenced to 19 years in prison, said Assistant Public Safety Secretary Luis Rodríguez Bucio.
The officers were members of an elite police group in the northern state of Tamaulipas, across the border from Texas.
They had initially argued they were responding to shots fired and believed they were chasing the vehicles of one of the country's drug cartels, which frequently participate in migrant smuggling.
The officers were accused of burning the victims' bodies in an attempt to cover up the crime. The bodies were found piled in a charred pickup truck in Camargo, across the Rio Grande from Texas, in an area that has been bloodied for years by turf battles between the remnants of the Gulf cartel and the old Zetas cartel.
Most of the dead migrants were from rural, Indigenous farming communities in Guatemala. Relatives said they lost contact with 13 of the migrants as they traveled toward the U.S.
The truck holding the bodies had 113 bullet holes, but authorities were confused by the fact that almost no spent shell casings were found at the scene. It later came out that the state police officers involved in the killings knew their shell casings might give them away, so they apparently picked them up.
The officers were members of the 150-member Special Operations Group, known in Spanish as GOPES, an elite state police unit that, under another name, had previously been implicated in other human rights abuses. The unit has since been disbanded.
So fearsome was the unit's reputation that the U.S. government, which trained a few of its individual members, sought at the time to distance itself from the force.
The U.S. embassy in Mexico said in 2021 that three of the 12 officers charged in the migrant massacre "received basic skills and/or first line supervisor training" through a State Department program before they were assigned to the special unit. "The training of these individuals took place in 2016 and 2017 and were fully compliant" with rules on vetting over human rights concerns, the embassy said.
The killings revived memories of the gruesome 2010 massacre of 72 migrants near the town of San Fernando in the same gang-ridden state. But those killings were done by a drug cartel.
- In:
- Mexico
- Homicide
- U.S.-Mexico Border
- Crime
veryGood! (42648)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Mitt Romney’s Senate exit may create a vacuum of vocal, conservative Trump critics
- 'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama
- CEO shooting suspect Luigi Mangione may have suffered from spondylolisthesis. What is it?
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- CEO shooting suspect Luigi Mangione may have suffered from spondylolisthesis. What is it?
- A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
- Jim Carrey Reveals Money Inspired His Return to Acting in Candid Paycheck Confession
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Man on trial in Ole Miss student’s death lied to investigators, police chief says
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Epic Games to give refunds after FTC says it 'tricked' Fortnite players into purchases
- Rooftop Solar Keeps Getting More Accessible Across Incomes. Here’s Why
- PACCAR recalls over 220,000 trucks for safety system issue: See affected models
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Social media platform Bluesky nearing 25 million users in continued post
- San Diego raises bar to work with immigration officials ahead of Trump’s deportation efforts
- How to watch the Geminid meteor shower this weekend
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Analysis: After Juan Soto’s megadeal, could MLB see a $1 billion contract? Probably not soon
Making a $1B investment in the US? Trump pledges expedited permits — but there are hurdles
GM to retreat from robotaxis and stop funding its Cruise autonomous vehicle unit
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
When fire threatened a California university, the school says it knew what to do
Joe Burrow’s home broken into during Monday Night Football in latest pro
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast